2.28.2007

The Dive From Clausen's Pier



by Ann Packer


This used to be one of my favorite novels when i first read it about five years ago. However, in re-reading it this week, I can't remember why I liked it so much. The main character, 23 year old Carrie Bell, begins to question everything in her life after her fiance and longtime boyfriend, Mike Meyer, is injured in an accident that leaves him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. My main problem with this book is that I don't think that Carrie and her new boyfriend, Kilroy, are very likeable characters. (Maybe if I re-read other books on this blog, I would feel differently about them, too?) I still think this novel poses an interesting question about how much you owe someone you love and reminds the reader how precarious life is. Worth reading but it could have been better. ***

No comments: