7.31.2008

How to be Single: A Novel



By Liz Truccillo

"A human being's desire to mate, to pair up, to be part of a couple, will never change. But the way we go about it, how badly we need it, what we are willing to sacrifice for it, most definitely is... So maybe the question isn't anymore 'Why are you single?' Maybe the question you should be asking yourself is 'How are you single?' "

When I was a little girl many years ago (thirty or so to be exact), I couldn't wait to be a teenager so I could go on dates and have boyfriends. I think I must have watched too much television or too many musicals, because I was in for a very rude awakening. When no one in high school really wanted to date me, I just figured I'd wait until college. But college boys were even less interested in having a girlfriend. And while I must confess to kissing quite a few boys, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my husband was my first serious relationship. We didn't meet until I was twenty-four years old and I had to ask HIM out! I guess I finally learned that nothing turns out quite the way you expect.

Julie Jensen is a 38 year old New Yorker, a beautiful single woman with a great career and a posse of loyal girlfriends. But she is sick to death of being asked, "'Why are you single? You seem like an awfully nice person. And very attractive. I just don't understand it.'" Julie doesn't understand it either so she decides to travel around the world to find out how women in other countries deal with being single. She travels to amazing cities, like Paris, Rio, Sydney, Bali, Beijing, Mumbai and Reykjavik, fallling madly in love with a married man along the way. Julie discovers that men and women all over the globe are marrying later, many are divorcing more easily, and finding your soulmate is difficult no matter where you live. Julie's friends are also dealing with being single: Alice is an attorney who quit her job to spend more time dating, Serena is a chef contemplating celibacy, Ruby is depressed and seriously considering artificial insemination, and Georgia just became a single mother of two after her husband deserted her for a much younger woman.

I found How to Be Single to be a very interesting and entertaining book. Each woman's story is compelling and unpredictable, the characters are well written and surprisingly likeable. Author Liz Truccillo was a writer for Sex and the City and it shows in the best possible way; the friendships and romances feel real and believable. Reading this book is almost like watching an episode of the popular series. According to the book jacket, the author traveled all over the world to interview men and women and research this book. As an avid reader of travel magazines, I just loved reading about the different countries. The author's descriptions are so vivid, you almost feel like you're visiting these great places with her. I'd recommend How to Be Single to all women, regardless of marital status, because who couldn't relate to these tales of love and loss? I only wish that I could have read it years ago and saved myself some heartache.

No comments: