3.06.2008

Books about "A Lady*"

Lately, I’ve been completely obsessed with Jane Austen, particularly with her novels and the story of her life. I think this is mostly because the movie Becoming Jane left me with so many questions about what her life was really like. So, I put my librarian skills to the test and began searching for more information about this very private and facinating woman.


I started with the book the previously mentioned film is based on: Jon Spence’s Becoming Jane Austen: A Life. This was an interesting book with tons of information, including quotes from both Jane’s letters and books written by her family members. Mr. Spence makes many interesting connections between Jane’s real life and the lives of the characters of her books. The tone is a little dry and academic at times though, and I must admit that I found myself skimming some passages.



Next, I picked up a book titled Just Jane: A Novel of Jane Austen’s Life by Nancy Moser. In Just Jane, the author imagines Jane’s life from age 20-40. I liked the first chapter, but the book went downhill quickly and became extremely unbelievable to me and a little boring. I would not recommend this one.



Finally, I stumbled upon a new title, The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by S yrie James. In this novel, the author ponders the question, “What if, hidden in an old attic chest, Jane Austen’s memoirs were discovered after hundreds of years? What if those pages revealed the untold story of a life-changing love affair?” Although this book is completely fictional, James’ writing feels much more authentic than Moser’s, and follows a love affair between Jane and a mysterious man who she meets while vacationing in the coastal town of Lyme. At the end of the novel, Syrie admits that no lost diary or attic chest has ever been found, but due to her diligent research and seamless blending of fact and fiction, I almost believed that there was. This was a fun and entertaining book.



The more I learn about Jane Austen, the more impressed I am by both her talent as a writer and her courage in becoming an independent thinker during a time period when women were not supposed to think for themselves. It's too bad that she never lived to see her beloved novels become so successful, popular and highly respected.
(*Note: Jane Austen's first novels were originally published anonymously, "By a Lady".)

1 comment:

stoverny said...

I liked your post about Jane Austen, your blog is interesting even though I don't read "chick lit"!