2.12.2008

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaining the American Dream




By Barack Obama

I normally find politics completely uninteresting, but as we approached 2008 and people started talking about the upcoming Presidential Election, I really looked forward to voting for Hilary Clinton. I seriously never thought I’d see a viable female presidential candidate in my lifetime, so this was extremely exciting for me. I’d always voted for Bill Clinton, so Hilary would undoubtedly win my vote this year.
Then, I watched a few debates on television, both Democratic and Republican (just for kicks!), and something unexpected began to happen. I actually found the debates interesting! Especially some guy named Barack Obama.

But wait a minute, I hate politics!
Politicians are all a bunch of liars!
I would never donate money to a politician.
What a waste!
And I would never cast a vote against Hilary!

But Senator Obama changed my mind about all of these things. He is inspiring, charismatic and incredibly intelligent. Come to think of it, he is the exact opposite of our current president. The Audacity of Hope is an inside look at Washington that is both smart and interesting. The idea that Mr. Obama could someday lead our country fills this beaten down liberal with hope. I know that he has to beat Hilary in the primaries first, but I would really like to see Obama’s name on the ballot in November. America needs him and you need to read this book!


All this talk about hope reminded me of a beautiful poem written by Emily Dickinson:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a good poem. Politicians almost always let you down, though. (Spitzer, Clinton)

Amy S. said...

I'm hoping Obama will be different!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making my morning a little bit better with this great article!!