12.17.2007

The Department of Lost and Found: A Novel




By Allison Winn Scotch

Natalie Miller is a career woman on her way up the political ladder, with a high powered, exciting job working as a top aide to a NY Senator. Suddenly, at age 30, she is diagnosed with breast cancer despite her healthy lifestyle, and her boyfriend dumps her just a few days later. Suddenly, the things that used to seem so important don’t seem to matter at all anymore and Natalie attempts to create a support network consisting of her parents, a few close girlfriends, and later, her dog Manny and her doctor Zach, as she battles her disease.
This is my second book so far this month about a perky young woman with cancer. I didn’t know the plot of this book when I started reading it, so I guess its just a coincidence. Despite the potentially depressing subject matter, this book is surprisingly upbeat, maybe a little too upbeat for me. It was interesting to see how the cancer diagnosis slowly changes Natalie’s outlook on life for the better. You can’t help but root for her character to overcome her disease and find true love and just be happy. I wish I could believe that this is what cancer is really like. Maybe for some people, it is. This one was just okay for me.

No comments: