9.13.2007

Summer Reading: A Novel


By Hilma Wolitzer

A book about three women in the Hamptons leading very different lives. Lissy is a shallow, rich snob who joins a book club to “change her life”, even though she is dyslexic and really only cares about gossip, shopping and parties. Michelle is Lissy’s maid and Angela is a retired English Lit professor hired to lead the group’s book discussions.
I kept waiting and waiting for this book to improve but it never really picks up. The Lissy character is utterly unlikable and I couldn’t really relate to Angela either. If the book had centered on Michelle more, it might have been okay but I found her life kind of depressing. The ending is horrible, especially for an animal lover like me, and it feels a bit rushed. Just not a good book for me. I have to agree with the reviewer on amazon.com who said, “Readable, if you have nothing else in the house.” Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

No comments: